Experience the cool mountain starlit sky among conifer forest at 6500' elevation. This is a great summer mid-week excursion where you will find a less crowded campground surrounded by mountain pines and vegetation. Jenks Lake and Santa Ana River are nearby and twenty-five miles to Big Bear Lake. Three nights of camping, hiking and exploring the area.
All activities will require 6' social distancing, and if unable to maintain distance, a mask must be worn.
Sun, June 6
- 2:00 pm - Check-in
- 5:30 pm - Tea Time meet and greet BYOB. Dinner on your own
- 7:00 pm - Group campfire activities
Mon, June 7
- 9:00 am - Hike Jenks Lake *
- 1:00 pm - Hike*
- 5:00 pm - Check white board*
- 7:00 pm - Group campfire and raffle
Tue June 8
- 9:00 am - Hike* or 4x4 trip*
- 1:00 pm - Big Bear town*
- 6:30 pm - Check white board*
- 7:30 pm - Group campfire
Wed, June 9
*Check campground white board for updates and hike/outing details.
Amenities and Notes:
- Tents will be on the large spacious double sites separate from RV's
- Flush toilets, picnic tables, grill/fire rings, and drinking water. Showers may be be available depending on COVID rules.
- Bears frequent the area; follow all food and garbage disposal regulations. Food storage lockers on site.
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov. - 'Buy It Where Your Burn It' Available on site at $8 a bundle, cash only
- Fire restrictions may be imposed at any time due to hot, dry weather conditions, at which time campfires and charcoal fires may not be allowed. Campfires must be kept small and in the fire ring
- No display of firearms
- Quiet hours are from 10 pm to 6 am
- Each "tent first person" registration includes parking for 1 vehicle. Second person sharing a tent must arrive with first person in same vehicle. No extra parking available. Tent sites will not be shared with RV's.
- Back into your site - safety requirement for emergency evacuation
- Park all tires on pavement - environmental issues - strictly enforced
- Specific campsite assignments will be sent a week before the event
Notes/conditions for RVs: This is a dry camping. Fresh water spigots available throughout camp and at the dump station. The dump site is located nearby ($10 fee) Generators may be operated between 7 am and 10 pm. Maximum site size is 35 feet. Maximum of 2 vehicles per site. RV with tow vehicle attached upon arrival counts as 1 vehicle. If tow vehicle is not attached upon arrival, occupant is responsible for extra parking fees $8 per day. Your tow vehicle must fit on your site with all tires on the pavement.
What to Bring: Face mask, hand sanitizer, Ten Essentials, camp chair, daypack for hiking, camping/cooking gear, food, warm/cool weather clothing, firewood, some cash, and your name tag. Bring your senior Golden Age park pass if you have one.
Hazard Warning!! - Dangerous intersection at entrance to camp from Highway 38 - limited visibility. Use extra caution when exiting the camp back on to the highway.
Consider going green! Please bring your own plates, cups, mugs, eating utensils, etc.
Location/Directions: Latitude 34.171955 Longitude -116.875098
Distance is approx. 70 miles from Palm Springs
From I-10 take SR-38 North. From the Mill Creek Ranger Station it is approximately 18.8 to the campground entrance. Turn left into the campground. From the Big Bear Discovery Center take SR-38 towards Redlands for 25.8 miles and turn right into the campground.
- Ponderosa Vista Nature Trail .6 mile
- Whispering Pines Trail .5 mile
- Rio Monte Trail 2.5 miles
- Big Falls Trail .3 mile
- Jenks Lake Trail 1 mile
- Wild Horse Creek 5 miles
Website: San Bernardino National Forest. Campground map click here
Climate: Ave Temps: 77° / 44° Current Weather click here
Refunds: Cancellation for a refund, minus any service fee, must be received by May 29.
Payment: You can pay with the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.
Pets: Are welcomed. Must be kept on leash. Please pick up after your pet.
Prices are based upon you being a GO paid member. If not currently a GO member, you will have the option of joining at an additional $25 per person for a one (1) year club membership prior to registration. Each person going must complete a separate registration. You can click here to join.
Health Problems/Allergies: Discuss any medical concerns with the trip leader that may affect your ability to complete the event.
Special COVID Related Requirements:
These may be updated/amended by the time of the event
Participants must comply with the following requirements as a condition of registering for this event:
- I will follow Federal, State and local COVID guidelines as well as the directions of the event leader(s).
- I will maintain distance (min. 6') and wear a mask if social distancing is not possible.
- I will not attend if feeling ill or have any symptoms of COVID.
- I will contact Trip Leader if I test positive for COVID within 14 days of the event.
‘I Accept’ and will comply with these requirements as a condition of participating in this event.